V - Vessel Fermentor, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Have you guys seen this before? I'm a little curious, it's kind of like an economical conical. I can't seem to find any more info on it. Anyone know anything about it?

Link

vvessellrg.gif
showroom.jpg

mike

Get off my wavelength... I swear I was on the v-vessel website when this thread was started. I've got questions too...
Plastic??? I know the better bottles are supposed to be impervious to off flavors, bacteria, and gunk seeping into the plastic... But what about these v-vessels what kind of plastic are they made of?
Cleaning??? they have a spherical top with a bung... how do you get in there to properly clean? Do they separate into halves - top & bottom?

I like the idea of the little ball at the bottom to collect the trub, but how long are you going to keep it in there? Why not just pull it off into a flask?

The only down fall I can see is the whole "hang on the wall" deal. Do they make a stand for these things? I typically brew outside, but ferment inside.
Anyone use these things?

Seabee John said:
The only down fall I can see is the whole "hang on the wall" deal. Do they make a stand for these things? I typically brew outside, but ferment inside.
Anyone use these things?

I think you'd have to make something; maybe like a wooden stand with some castors on the bottom to move it around. You'd need to keep it upright, at least after it's filled up.

As a MiniBrew owner, I highly recommend that you include the MiniBrew 6.5 in your consideration. Everyone has a little different way they like to do things, and I'm sure V-Vessels could be cool for many people, but I've found that my MiniBrew is my single best and most time-saving tool. For secondarying, trub empties easily, and I can bottle the entire batch (as in almost EVERY last ounce) without disturbing the layer. It's a little tiny bit tall and awkward when it's full, but empty, especially for when cleaning, it's a breeze. Especially w/ the prices on eBay, it's a decent option in the same price range you're looking in.

chriso said:
As a MiniBrew owner, I highly recommend that you include the MiniBrew 6.5 in your consideration. Everyone has a little different way they like to do things, and I'm sure V-Vessels could be cool for many people, but I've found that my MiniBrew is my single best and most time-saving tool. For secondarying, trub empties easily, and I can bottle the entire batch (as in almost EVERY last ounce) without disturbing the layer. It's a little tiny bit tall and awkward when it's full, but empty, especially for when cleaning, it's a breeze. Especially w/ the prices on eBay, it's a decent option in the same price range you're looking in.

Any longstanding off flavors from the plastic?

I have one of the v-vessel things. I've only used it to make wine so far and my finished product came out fine.

jordanpace said:
I have one of the v-vessel things. I've only used it to make wine so far and my finished product came out fine.
how do you clean the dang thing? ti looks like it might be a bit tough to get all of the Krausen residue out.

I'm intrigued by both of these items, but I brew in my garage and ferment in my basement so I'm concerned about the portability of these things.

Than again, I only need to drill through one concrete wall and hook up a pump to go from garage to basement without having to carry anything at all. (I think I might be conceiving my next brew project).

John -- I don't have one, but I can't imagine they're any harder to clean than a carboy. Just CIP with PBW, OxyClean, etc. I can't remember the last time I had to stick a brush inside my carboy...

I'm wondering how you fill the thing while it's hanging on the wall if you don't have a pump. It's not like you can take it down and sit it on a chair under your primary.

Seabee John said:
Any longstanding off flavors from the plastic?

I haven't had it long enough yet to do any really "stinky" batches, but nothing I've noticed -- when I rack beer out, and spray briefly with water, it doesn't smell like anything. Just water is enough to get the "yeasty" smells out immediately.

It's made of super-thick hard grade restaurant plastic. We had the exact same plastic material for our Misty Slush container at the Dairy Queen I worked at in high school, and that container was 10 years old and didn't smell like anything. :)

Latest posts

Back