Using yeast nutrients and Sna schedule

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Pinchecharlie

Reaction score
I have been reading (maybe too much) about brewing and mead and the processes and have been reading through lots of recipes on several forums and in several books. My question is that it would seem that most have agreed that yeast nutrients and Sna ( hope iam saying that right)improve the environment for the yeast and therefore the yeast perform better. So would you use these techniques in an older recipe before this information was available. Should you use it in all recipes? For example I've been reading a hard cider post and there is no mention of the nutrients or the sugar breaks or much else as far as yeast is concerned would these techniques improve the fermentation process for that as well? Just trying to learn thanks for any replies

Izzie1701

Reaction score
I am also newer to this but from what I understand honey has very little nutritional value for yeast. Hence we add the nutrient and energizer. When you add fruit to the mix you add the nutrients in requires to be happy. If I am not mistaken it's not needed but without it the yeast won't have the best situation to finish out and you may get a stuck fermentation. Just from what I understand in the last few months of this hobby.

loveofrose

Reaction score
You are correct. SNAs and pH buffering will improve old recipes that pre-date the new knowledge.

Other old practices are actually detrimental and should be avoided (boiling, upfront acid blend, etc.)

You can read my article in my signature for full explanations of current techniques.

Cheers!