Using wood from coffee plant for coffee/smoke flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3b2

Reaction score
I’m working on a stout right now, and want to experiment with extracting some smoke/coffee flavors from a branch of a robusta coffee plant I have. (I know I can achieve smoke/coffee flavors with the right malts, but The point of this is to experiment)
I have 2 options on how to do this and I’m wondering if anyone has tried something similar with wood from a coffee plant.

1) smoke my oatmeal with the branch before I add it to the grain bill (I’ve seen some posts about smoking oatmeal and it seems like an easy way to carry the flavor over)

2)smoke the branch and add it to secondary

I also heard some coffee plants contain alkaloids and that could cause issues or poison the batch so I’m wondering if it’s even worth trying, or just too risky. Has anyone done anything like this with a coffee plant before?

I haven't so can't help you with direct experience. To me, smoking the oatmeal sounds more controlled, doable. Also, I would be certain about the poison thing, obviously, before doing either.

Latest posts

Back