Using water heater tank for boil kettle and MLT.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirdeye13

Reaction score
I have been doing multiple five gallon batches with much success with all grain batches but am looking to increase the size of my batches significantly. I am on a minimal budget and have come up with an idea to use water heater tanks for a boil kettle and mashing tun. I am a handyman and often replace water heaters as part of my job and am left disposing of them; usually there is nothing wrong with the tank itself.... I was thinking that using the actually water heater elements and tank to do the boiling and to use as the mash tun. It seems as if they would easily be converted to these. I was thinking of using multiple elements of lower wattage to do this so as not to burn the grain or overheat the wort in the boil kettle. It seems as if the ceramic/glass coating on the inside would hold up for a while if special attention is taken to ensure rusting and other corrosion within does not build up in case the steel beneath it is exposed. Does anybody have any thoughts on this or concerns whether this may or may not work? I would like to get this underway if at all possible as soon as possible.

Plug "HERMS" into the seach bar.

I have a friend who does something very much like that with an electric turkey fryer.

glass lined, huh?

most water heaters are lines with a ceramic coating to prevent rusting... apparently it is less expensive than stainless steel.

Back