using washed yeast without making a starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lechien

Reaction score
I've got 4 jars of washed 2 month old us-04 from a 5 gallon batch that were done using the yeast washing sticky. There is about 1/4" of yeast per jar and I would like to make a 5 gallon batch of 1.064 tomorrow and wondered if I could use multiple jars instead of making a starter. I've got a back up pack of us-04 but would rather save it because I live in the middle of no where and yeast is hard to come by unless ordered online.

So my question is how many jars should I use? Is there something wrong with doing this other than proving the yeast is still active? I could do a small 1.040 starter but I want to brew tomorrow.

Not sure how big your jars are, I use the 6oz mason jars and I will pitch 2 of those when I brew spur of the moment and can't make a starter. Hope this helps

They are pint jars, I have a couple out of the fridge and am going to start a 1 liter starter. I've decided I'm too low on IPA to mess up a batch. should be ok to pitch tomorrow afternoon I hope.

Usually you want 24-48 hours for a starter, but at least you're making a starter. Considering it is 2 months old, I'd go for the 48 hours, but if time isn't on your side (have to work monday?), you'd be ok. Be ready for a longer than usual lag time between pitching and seeing activitiy. Also, oxygenate the heck out of the beer before you pitch.

Back