Using Washed Yeast for Future Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevHTX

Reaction score
I have just recently washed yeast from a batch of Cream Ale that has finished it's fermentation period. I used approximately 1 gallon of water to wash the yeast, and have poured it off into 2 containers which are currently sitting in my fridge. I know that the yeast multiples during the fermentation process, so my question is whether I need to use all the yeast I have washed (approx. 1 gallon with the water it has been washed with) to pitch into my next batch of Cream Ale? Also, I've seen videos online of people creating Yeast starters with package yeast, but not with washed yeast from a previous batch. I have no experience in pitching washed yeast, so any information ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you use it more than a couple weeks after washing it, it's best to make a starter. Won't need to use all of it, most likely. Check out a yeast calculator to get you on the ballpark. Lots of them online, just pick one and roll with it.

How much of actual yeast volume do you have in the bottom of your containers?

I harvest yeast slurry from my fermenter without washing. I have a mix of canning jar sizes. I have been finding that the contents of an 8 oz jar (so probably 6 oz of slurry after decanting the beer on top) into a 5 gal batch without a starter has been working well for me (assuming slurry is 1 month or less old and OG is 1.060 or less).

Back