Using washed yeast for 1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett19

Reaction score
OK, so I have searched for this, but didnt find any answers.

I harvested some yeast off of a fermentation and got three mason jars full. Then I ran out of space for my next washing, so I combined the three jars into one. So far, no indications of infection. For the rest of this thread, lets just assume I will be using sanitary practices.

I want to use this strain in a gallon batch, but I have way more than I need for this batch.

Is it possible to pour of just what I need and save the rest? I dont want to lose the whole thing when I need less than 1/3.

Is it possible to put sterilized water back on top of the remaining yeast in the jar?

Or does this mean that I just need to take what I need and pitch the rest?

Thanks!

garrett

Go for it... I see no issues with what you propose. Or you may find it easier to just harvest the yeast from your gallon batch. There will be more than enough for 5 gallons. Thats actually a pretty common practice for me. Rather than do a starter I just make a gallon of beer on the stove and use the yeast for my high gravity brews

Back