Using up some ingredients... Made beer, should be interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
So I had some ingredients that needed to be used up. I had a east cost ale yeast that had hit its use by date, that needed to be used up, so I threw some stuff together and made some beer, it should be a light red to dark golden in color. Well see how it tastes.

This was the ingrediennts I used.

3.3 lbs of Briess Bavarian wheat LME
3.3 lbs of Bries Pilsen Light LME
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Chocolate malt
4 oz Malto-dextrin

1 oz Hallertaur at 60 mins (Bittering)
1 oz East Kent Goldings 15 mins (Aroma)

WhiteLabs East coast ale yeast.

Made a starter about 24 hours before brewing. It was bubling away 8 hours later.

Any ideas if this will be any good?

Update. I had this sitting in primary for a month, and then secondary for a month, hoping I was getting kegging equipment for christmas. So I got the kegging equipment and kegged this one. Poured a glass, it wasnt carbed enough and was somewhat carmaly tasting, and a medium thick mouth feel. Not terrible, but not great, had good flavor, but something didnt seem right. I returned the keg to carbing pressure, and let it sit another week. This time the carbonation looked right and holy smokes is it tasty. Reminds me a little of smithwick, the taste is slightly different from smithwicks, but has a really creamy head and a smoother or soft mouthfeel, but not too thick feeling. I just had 2 more last night. I had the fridge at 38 degree, but noticed the beer tasted a little better when it warmed up, so I set the fridge to 44 and those two last night were awesome. Its amazing how the carbination changed the percieved taste. The carmely taste isnt really noticable anymore.

Back