Using the yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
So,
My American Pale Ale is fermenting in the 6 gallon Carboy. The yeast is WLP-001.

Can I just put new wort into the carboy after I transfer the current beer to my keg?

The American Pale is moderately hoppy. I will not be dry hopping the current beer. What styles could work well in this carboy as a follow up beer?

Thanks!

Can you just put new wort on top of your yeast cake? Yes. Most people don't recommend it though. You only want to use like a quarter of the yeast unless you're putting a huge beer on it. You want the yeast to reproduce some in the new beer to get the best flavors and keep them healthy.

Can you just put new wort on top of your yeast cake? Yes. Most people don't recommend it though. You only want to use like a quarter of the yeast unless you're putting a huge beer on it. You want the yeast to reproduce some in the new beer to get the best flavors and keep them healthy.

If this is the case, could one just add some boiled/cooled water in with the cake, stir up, pour out half (or however much needs to be poured out to reduce the yeast count), let it settle, decant excess water, then add wort?

You are describing yeast rinsing - lots of people do it. You can also leave a little bit of beer in the fermentor to mix the yeast around and forgo using the boiled and cooled water. Both techniques seem to have their merits.

You are describing yeast rinsing - lots of people do it. You can also leave a little bit of beer in the fermentor to mix the yeast around and forgo using the boiled and cooled water. Both techniques seem to have their merits.

Yes, it would be a little like yeast washing, except the yeast never leaves the fermenter, except for the excess that your pour out (or perhaps save for another batch).

Will the trub from the previous batch not affect the taste of the next batch?

Back