Using the priming sugar in thw boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clt2DC

Reaction score
I am brewing up a Munich Lager kit right and was wondering. Will it hurt if I throw the priming sugar in the boil? I keg so I don't need the sugar & and the instructions say this brew will end up around 4% ABV +\- it's only a cup so my hope is it will just bump the ABV a bit.

Thoughts O wise ones?
Thanks

I usually put about a pound of corn sugar in my brews and it doesn't give any extra flavor. It just boosts the alcohol content. That's why I pretty much always add a pound. I say do it.

Depending on how much you use it could thin and dry out the beer.

It may also throw off the hops balance. Though, the amount for bottling is not enough to make a very large difference.

For me, I would adjust the recipe to account for the addition.

Just do it. If you think about it, it is already in the recipe, and by not using it, you are not fully making the recipe/kit as planned.

5 ozs will not make any real difference.

I've thought about that "being part of the recipe" thing myself. Sure,it's added at the bottling stage. But it would have some small effect on the final product to my thinking. Albeit a small one to add that final bit of balance,besides carbonation which does effect flavor/aroma perception.

Back