Using the "1-2-3 rule" in small batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inawa

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few months now. Strictly 1 gallon batches. I've been reading a lot about the average time to spend on primary fermentation, secondary, bottling. Many brewers suggest using the "1-2-3 rule" (1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning).

I'm assuming, since most people consider 5 gallon batches the standard, that this rule is more catered towards 5 gallon and does not typically apply to 1 gallon batches. Additionally, using a secondary with 1 gallon seems pointless. But maybe that's just me.

I know the best way to determine whether fermentation is finished, regardless of volume, is to take a gravity reading (which I do, works greats). But what about bottle conditioning? Theoretically, wouldn't a smaller volume batch convert sugars faster? (Not sure if it makes a difference but I only brew ales)

TLDR: Does bottle conditioning from a 1 gallon carboy take less time than bottle conditioning from 5 gallons? If not, why? If so, how long do you typically condition a 1 gallon batch?

THANK YOU!

No, time to finish has nothing to do with batch size.
And don't ever bother using a secondary unless you are aging for several months, or adding fruit.

No, time to finish has nothing to do with batch size.
And don't ever bother using a secondary unless you are aging for several months, or adding fruit.

What are some factors that determine conditioning time? Temp, yeast, etc.?

All of the above to some degree. I'd say the biggest factor is OG and temperature, if you pitch a proper amount of yeast and ferment sixty-five then ramp up to 70-72 then you should ferment out in 5-9 days whether it's 1 gallon or 200 barrels. I ferment two weeks as a general rule just to make sure the yeast cleans up all it's bi-products and such.

What are some factors that determine conditioning time? Temp, yeast, etc.?

I feel like roasted grains (chocolate malt, roasted barley, etc) generally require more aging than pale beers.

It seems like darker beers require more conditioning to allow all the flavors to meld.

A big factor in conditioning time is amount of yeast pitched and strain. A larger pitch means the yeast starts eating sugars faster rather than replicating.
Some strains finish faster. WLP090 can be done in 4 days(depending on the OG)

There are too many variables to have simple rules like 1-2-3 for primary, secondary and conditioning, although if you want to do that and you like the way the beer comes out, go for it.

Back