Using tap water vs. spring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
I'm considering moving to using tap (I currently use bottled spring water) to save some money and possibly eliminate my current process if it's unnecessary.

Pages 4-5 of this link are the most current water quality report I can find for my city (Indianapolis area):
http://www.citizensenergygroup.com/pdf/2012WaterReport.pdf

To add another level of confusion, I have a whole house filter (regular filter, not RO), as well as a softener.

Questions:

1. If I were to use the city water, what sort of treatments should I consider (ie multiple campden tablets)?
2. Should I use the softened water, or should I use unsoftened water? *I would assume that softened water would contain too much salt.

Thanks!

A single campden tablet will neutralize chlorine in up to 20 gallons of water. No need to go throwing multiple in unless you are neutralizing a pool's worth of water :)

I crush the tablet and throw about 1/4 into the water.

If you are going to brew with your city water draw your water from a faucet that is not pulling from the softener such as an outside spigot or if you have a bypass in place bypass the softener. To get rid of the chlorine and if present chloramine a campden tab does the trick. One tab is enough to treat 20 gallons. I cut them in to quarters then crush an add to 5 gallons as needed.

If you are going to brew with your city water draw your water from a faucet that is not pulling from the softener such as an outside spigot or if you have a bypass in place bypass the softener. To get rid of the chlorine and if present chloramine a campden tab does the trick. One tab is enough to treat 20 gallons. I cut them in to quarters then crush an add to 5 gallons as needed.

Sounds good, I can use the outside spigot. Thanks!

The water report isn't very good for brewing. The "averages" are listed, but they aren't of any value. For example, the chloride. They list 87 (which is ok, not great) but that's because the readings have varied from 32 to 128! That's a huge variance. And the sulfate- from 20 to 219!

It would make it very difficult for brewing to try to predict what's actually in the water and the effect on flavor and mash pH. There is no report on alkalinity.

I'd either try to get a water report of your actual water, or use purchased RO water/distilled water and add some calcium chloride or gypsum to the water. That would make it more predictable.

Since you are currently using spring water...

With bottled water, consider the source! Spring water from limestone aquifers are usually very high in carbonate species, which is not ideal for all but the darkest beers. Especially when brewing extract, it's better to have low-mineral water, because the extract already contains the minerals from its source water.

Is http://glacierwater.com/ in your area? If so, that's cheap and very good brewing water for extract, and - with proper salt additions - for all grain.

I was using tap water for my extract brews and they came out great. When I switched the AG I continued to use tap water but wasn't getting a great beer like I wanted. I had my water tested and it wasn't the best water even though it tastes fine to me. So I started using RO water with some calcium chloride. And I recently just bought a pH meter to dial in my mash pH. So far I am liking the RO water. Yes it does cost a little more but my beer is much better now and it is totally worth it. I have been research RO filters for my kitchen sink. They are about $200 or so which is a lot up front but will pay for itself after a while.

I use tap water, an under sink filter, and an rv filter as well. Then I toss a bit of vitamin c to neutralize the chloramine and slightly increase acidity. Works well.

I'm in southern IN and have a water softner in place. I use a PUR water filter attached to my kitchen faucet and been using that water from the filter for about 20 batches now of all types of beer and they all taste good.

I used spring water, distilled water and drinking water before and just quit spending the extra money on it and use my filtered tap water.

I've never had my water tested or done any type of testing other than drink my beer and live thru it as well as have good tasting beer.

I have done a few batches using bottled spring water. I've never done a side by side comparison. Never had any reason to think spring water gave me any advantages.

My tap water tastes great, the spring water tastes bland. I'll stick to tap water. For whatever it may be worth, I brew extract kits.

I use tap water which I filter with an activated charcoal filter (optima) and then pre- boil. I do this brew day -1 if I can.

ArcaneXor said:
Is http://glacierwater.com/ in your area? If so, that's cheap and very good brewing water for extract, and - with proper salt additions - for all grain.

I have seen these around, and looked for a report from them, but was unsuccessful. Is the water from these stations RO or is there some minerals left in it?

Back