Using secondary for wheat beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuicers

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a fairly new brewer who just got done putting a cherry wheat into a secondary after letting it sit 2 weeks in the primary. I just added the cherry extract and then siphoned into a secondary. After reading various posts, it seems that wheat beers are ment to be bottled "young". My local brew shop guy said he always goes by the 2 weeks primary, 2 week secondary, and 2 week bottles motto for all his beers. Basically I'm just wondering if this is an ok saying to go by or should I put the wheat beer in bottles already? Thank you in advance for all the help...

I usually primary for 4 weeks then bottle. Starting at 3 weeks I open a bottle a week until it is ready.

I would let the extract mellow with it in secondary 1 week,probably would have been ok just to add the extract at week 2 primary only and let it sit another week then bottle.Secondary is fine but alot of people find its as good only doing another week or two in primary.

You're going to probably hear many different ways of accomplishing the same goal. At the end of the day, one opinion probably isn't much better than another. I would do 10 day primary then rack to secondary on top of the extract and let it go for 2 weeks, then bottle condition for 2 or 3 weeks. Just my .02 though.

That's exactly what I thought. There is no right/wrong answers I guess. Just a matter of personal preference. So I guess I'll just let it sit in there for 2 weeks total and then bottle. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Back