Using San Pellegrino bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow77

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to bottle their beer/cider in these? Good idea? They have a metal screw top that's airtight since the water comes carbonated and hold 750ml (~25 ounces). Feels like a waste tossing out these bottles, and it could make bottling a cinch.

PI41508001S.jpg

As a test, I bottled some Apelwein in a San Pellegrino bottle, with the original metal cap.

It has done fine, no leak or botle bomb (not opened yet).

I thought the metal cap *may* have bulged a tiny amount, or not. Actually, I compared it to a "virgin" bottle and caps looked the same...

beergears said:
As a test, I bottled some Apelwein in a San Pellegrino bottle, with the original metal cap.

It has done fine, no leak or botle bomb (not opened yet).

I thought the metal cap *may* have bulged a tiny amount, or not. Actually, I compared it to a "virgin" bottle and caps looked the same...

Good news, I'll try a couple next time I am bottling. :mug:

Good news, I'll try a couple next time I am bottling. :mug:

How did it go? We go through these bottles like crazy. Would be nice if the original twistcaps caps keep the carbonation so I could use them with my HB. At least for one go around.

How did it go? We go through these bottles like crazy. Would be nice if the original twistcaps caps keep the carbonation so I could use them with my HB. At least for one go around.

It worked, although I wouldn't try with anything that has moderately-high to high carbonation. The caps aren't designed to hold a lot of pressure.

Try a few next time you bottle.

I was wondering this myself, and experimented with a few different tops. I found that the best and most reliable solution was these stoppers. They expand as the lever is pushed down creating a seal inside of the bottle. At the homebrew store that i frequent they run for $1.25 a pop. A little pricey i know, but they are reusable and allow you to save any glass bottle for homebrewing...

163737_10100100801769303_6201471_51308190_6710991_n.jpg

I have successfully used them with the metal caps they came with. The only problem was that the caps can get warped when saving them for reuse. I found that standard 2L pop bottle lids fit on the bottles just fine.

Back