Using RO water for Munich Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
This will be my second attempt at a Munich Helles and will be a blind experiment. Blind is referring to having no clue what my RO water profile is. After researching HBT RO water could have mineral content at a very small amount.

So thinking ahead for this winter where I should have a water report I want to do blind experiment with my Helles.

Two question I have that I cant understand is what mineral/additive to use to to make the malts stand out.

I also have some PH stabilizer and curious if I use a mineral adjustment can I use the PH stabilizer as well?

Anything helps

Just regard your RO water to be free of any minerals. I tested my RO water and it comes out at around 3-5ppms. the tap is about 135ppms.

thanks Im looking forward to sending my local and ro water in to ward labs but Ill wait when it gets closer to my massive brewing schedule this fall and winter.

Chloride helps accentuate malt character. A Helles water profile is pretty low on all minerals. If you want to up the CaCl a little, it should be fine. I would say straight RO water should suffice.

As for the pH stabilizer, I personally quit using it. I adjust my pH using acid malt, lactic acid, or both via Bru'n Water.

It's said that Chloride helps accentuate maltiness, but your recipe is much much more important that the modest presence of minerals like Cl. So focus on ingredients.

And ditch the pH 5.2 idea. Use acid malt or lactic/phosphoric acid as needed.

Back