Using Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctopusInk

Reaction score
I was listening to the Brew Network Sunday Session podcast and Doc was talking about a Belgian Tripel that turned out very smooth, but very alcoholic in no small part to using rice. He said he used ground up Uncle Ben's minute rice in his mashtun. I was wondering if anyone else has used this in a partial mash or with specialty grains.

raw rice can be used, but im not sure about grinding it up and putting in the tun. i usually boil it for 30 mins, then cool it and put it in the tun with the rest of the grist and liquor. its gotta be boiled to break down the proteins, there simply isnt enough enzematic conversion from the barley and adjuncts to break it down unless its boiled, plus it must go through a protein rest once its boiled.

From reading Papazian (or somewhere) rice starch needs to be gelatinized before it can be mashed. Maybe the one minute rice has already undergone this process (which is why it can cook so fast?) so doesn't need boiling? IIRC rice is very easy for the yeasties to ferment, so you do end with a very dry beer.

its gotta be boiled to break down the proteins, there simply isnt enough enzematic conversion from the barley and adjuncts to break it down unless its boiled, plus it must go through a protein rest once its boiled.

That is why he used minute rice, it is already gelatinized and dried. Basically the same process as boiling. He said he ground it up to increase surface area for conversion.

I only want to run it by the folks at HBT because I want to do an ale without the color that LME provides. So if I can get fermentables without malty sweetness or color, I'll give it a try. Just experimenting.

very good then, i didnt get that part. but now anybody that wants to use raw, non-minute rice, knows how to do it. cheers!

Back