Using Rice syrup solids for yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid_mash

Reaction score
I am wanting to make a yeast starter for a gluten-free brew and am just curious if rice syrup solids with some nutrients will work. I read that using brown rice syrup will make the yeast unable to digest complex sugars, I thought maybe the nutrients would help?

Ideally, your starter should hvae similar properties to the wort. For example, the general advice is to use DME in preparation for an all-grain wort.

I guess that for a GF beer, things are a bit different. What is the recipe going to be? Can you concoct a starter with similar or identical ingredients? If so, you should be fine.

I agree with at least generically trying to match the profile of your beers. Gluten Free starters pose the problem of not having a good dry malt extract available. I used 1/3 of a jar of liquid sorghum to do starters, and the next time I opened the jar it was infected. I've now gone to using a pressure canner and make up 3ish gallons of 1.04 SG wort, and have sterile wort ready whenever I need it.

Back