Using pressure barrel as bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlosef

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to brewing, got my first brew sitting in the primary right now and I'm thinking ahead to bottling day. I don't have a bottling bucket but as far as I can tell, this:

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-pressure-barrel-23l40-pints/invt/0022554

Which I do have, will work just fine as a bottling bucket if I remove the valve from the top. I'm planning on connecting a piece of tubing to the tap so that I can fill straight into the bottle.

Can anyone see any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Should work fine. Just make sure you don't introduce a lot of oxygen when filling. Some tubing and a spring loaded bottle filler would help.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update once I've given it a try. From what I can tell quite a lot of UK newbies start with one of these Wilko starter kits so hopefully others will benefit from this.

I'm from UK I want to do some think will you carbonate it in this aswell I got the cooper carbon drops

To answer your question Mart1986, I'm going to put a priming solution (sugar and water) into the pressure barrel and siphon all the beer from the fermenting vessel into the pressure barrel, then use the tap with some tubing attached to fill bottles. The idea is that it will allow me to mix the priming solution evenly through the beer and make the bottling process more convenient by using the tap at the bottom of the barrel.

So I'm not using the pressure barrel for its stated purpose, there won't be any pressure because I'm removing the valve at the top and the beer will only be in it for a short time while I bottle it. Carbonation will be taking place in the bottle thanks to the priming solution.

Just wanted to say that I gave this a try with water and it didn't go well, seems you're better off with a proper bottling bucket than trying to improvise one with one of these pressure barrels.

Back