using pecans after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
So really sorry if this has been discussed, my searches came up with recipes, and in those pretty much every one said roasting the nuts multiple times to remove as much oil as possible, then run them through the boil.

My thought is I love the W00tstout by Stone, and love the hint of pecans you get in it. I wanted to impart that on the stout Im boiling right now, and most of what i have read about putting pecans in the 2nd is it bring out the oils and kills the head. I have tried extract once in the 2nd and it just wasnt right. Does anyone have experience with pecans in the 2nd? I figured the oils would just sit on the top, and I could siphon the beer off under it or will that still kill my head?
thanks

I'm on my phone so I don't have it in front of me. I have a BYO magazine that talks about brewing with nuts. Will dig it up and see what it says when I'm home. I do remember making a pecan double bock. The recipe called for the pecans to be in the mash.

Post here again or pm me a reminder to look for the magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Subscribed I'm interested as well

OK.

Here is the article that I was talking about.
http://byo.com/stories/item/2530-brewing-gone-nuts

I reread it and they do not give any specifics about using pecans in the secondary. They do talk a little about the head retention problem. The article says using more crystal, wheat or carafoam and using higher alpha acid hops may help with head retention.

It also talks about making a tea with the nuts by steeping them in water and then freezing the tea which will usually leave the fat at the top where you can separate it out. I would think using a gravy separator in the fridge would work well also.

They also mentioned a book by Randy Mosher, Radical Brewing that may have some information.

Sorry it did not have a direct answer for you. Guess you will have to experiment. Split the batch into a few carboys and try straight toasted nuts, nut tea, etc. I wonder if you can soak some pecans in bourbon and extract some pecan flavors pecan bourbon flavors. Or use ever clear to just extract the pecan flavor.

I would probably carbonate the beer just a little bit higher than the standard since the oils may affect the head.

So really sorry if this has been discussed, my searches came up with recipes, and in those pretty much every one said roasting the nuts multiple times to remove as much oil as possible, then run them through the boil.

My thought is I love the W00tstout by Stone, and love the hint of pecans you get in it. I wanted to impart that on the stout Im boiling right now, and most of what i have read about putting pecans in the 2nd is it bring out the oils and kills the head. I have tried extract once in the 2nd and it just wasnt right. Does anyone have experience with pecans in the 2nd? I figured the oils would just sit on the top, and I could siphon the beer off under it or will that still kill my head?

thanks

Åqq

I always put it in the mash and up tha carafoam. No issues with head retention. We did put it in the secondary once with mixed results.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I wish I had done the research before I started brewing. I'm probably switching it to the secondary tomorrow, I think I'm just going to try roasting the nuts a couple times and throwing them in there and see what happens. I keg so I'm hoping it will just sit on top. I'll let people know what happens

I would think to stay away from anything containing fat directly, you read of a tendency/chance to go rancid.

You can look at making a pecan tincture, e.g. crushed pecans in everclear/shine- decant the liquid as an extract.

There are methods of doing this online.

Chocolate macadamia raisin nut porter has been on my wishlist.

Latest posts

Back