Using Oregon Red Tart Cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Was thinking of making my own puree using oregon red tart cherries in water (14.5 oz can) (110z of cherries). anyone else done this before by making a puree and adding it to the secondary? are these already pasteurized and how many cans should i use in the secondary?

Thanks guys

It shouldn't be an issue as long as you sanitize whatever you are using to make the puree. That said, I find purees harder to deal with, I like using whole fruit because it is much easier to get the beer off the fruit.

I added the whole cherries to the secondary before and it worked great. I wanted a lot of flavor for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale and added 5 cans for a 2.5 gallon batch. It was very nice but less than subtle.

Ya i was thinking about using 8-10 cans for a 5 gallon batch...this is an all grain wheat brew....12 lbs wheat, 8 pounds pale malt, and 2 lbs rice halls.....i split the boil volume into 2 primary fermenters and doing an apple wheat in one and cherry in the other. so using the cherries as whole works just as well as a puree? and do you think 8 cans of 11oz oregon tart cherries should be about right for the secondary fermenter? i dont want an over powering cherry taste, but i want it noticeable.

Your best bet is to add maybe 3 cans, give it a week, draw a sample and see if you want to add more. It's a better idea to do it a little at a time so you don't over do it. My beer was very strong with a lot of flavor so I added a lot. In a wheat ale the cherries would be far more noticable, I think.

after hearing peoples responses i think im going to go with 5-6 cans of the tart cherries....boil them and then add them to the secondary....going to be at about 5.5-6 gallons in the secondary. I am not going to be racking till tomorrow night so any more input today and tomorrow will be greatly apreciated.

Just dump the cherries and water in the secondary. No need to boil them, they are already sanitized. I used 10 cans of them in a Cherry wheat and it was awesome! Good stuff.

I have beer going now that I dumped two cans of Oregon Tart cherries. I heard two of these in wheat beer beer can make it kriek-like.

I'm making banana-cherry beer that I want like a pseudo belgian sour. I'm hoping the cherry makes some tartness in this beer.

As mentioned 6 years ago, the cherries and water packing are pasteurized, so no worries about infection. 2 cans in 5 gallons of beer won't be very tart in my experience. If you want to make a sour you'll need to sour mash or add lacto or another yeast blend for souring like the Roselare blend.

As mentioned 6 years ago, the cherries and water packing are pasteurized, so no worries about infection. 2 cans in 5 gallons of beer won't be very tart in my experience. If you want to make a sour you'll need to sour mash or add lacto or another yeast blend for souring like the Roselare blend.

Ok, I don't want it very tart. I actually want more banana flavor with some hint of cherry sourness. Even if I don't get any sour, just a hint of cherry. Even if it's just a ABV bump.

I added banana in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Then pureed the cherries. To add at steeping.

I know it's pasteurized, I was going off of Sam Calagione suggestions for fruit additions. I understand that I may have set pectins. I have the enzymes to break down pectins.

I really didn't want the long term process of aging a sour. If I don't get any sour flavor it's no problem to me.

Back