Using oatmeal instead of flaked oats in a stout beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew 10 gallons of an oatmeal stout tomorrow morning and I have 1.5 lbs of flaked oats and my recipe calls for 3 lbs. Would using 1.5 lbs of Quaker oatmeal (the type that cooks in a few minutes, not the instant kind that comes in packets). The oats are not flavored with anything.

Quick oats are essentially the same thing as flaked oats.

Also if you have never used them before I find toasting them in the oven till they start to slightly change color and smell like cookies helps them carry through into the beer a little more.

Looking to brew 10 gallons of an oatmeal stout tomorrow morning and I have 1.5 lbs of flaked oats and my recipe calls for 3 lbs. Would using 1.5 lbs of Quaker oatmeal (the type that cooks in a few minutes, not the instant kind that comes in packets). The oats are not flavored with anything.

you'll be fine.

Alternatively if it were normal rolled oats to make up the grist - just cook them rolled oats rpior ( look up cereal mashing)

either way its do-able.

Back