using nuts...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
I recently learned that a certain near-by world renowned meadery uses peanuts to impart a pastry-esque flavor to their meads to get around liquor licensing laws that don't allow them to use grains.

Was wondering if anyone else has played around with using nuts in a mead and can provide some insight, advice, tips, etc?

I know an award winning local meadery here uses peanuts to make peanut butter and "jelly" meads using different fruits. They actually boil the peanuts, then chill the peanut water to remove the fat/oils. They then use that water to make the mead, but this imparts a strong peanut butter aroma and mice flavor to it.

I know an award winning local meadery here uses peanuts to make peanut butter and "jelly" meads using different fruits. They actually boil the peanuts, then chill the peanut water to remove the fat/oils. They then use that water to make the mead, but this imparts a strong peanut butter aroma and mice flavor to it.
Mice?? :eek:

as noted above, the main issue with using nuts is keeping the fats out - you really don’t want rancidifying oils on top of your mead. among the options are the nut ‘tea’ mentioned above, de-oiled peanut products (i don’t recall the name at the moment but the product exists), or making an alcohol extract from the nuts and adding that to your mead.

I don't play around with nuts but that might just be me.

"Everybody loves mice flavor"
--my cat

I was hoping to find a way to impart pastry flavors without actually using something like Graham crackers or crust, but no coming across as nutty

Back