Using noble hops in APA/IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grggrrs176

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on using noble hops in APAs/IPAs? Haven't seen many recipes that do. Is there a reason for this?

I was planning on brewing a super floral APA and was thinking about using a combination of ahtanum, palisade, and sterling. Anyone have any experience brewing ales with sterling and/or noble hops?

Thanks.

Ive brewed a pale ale with sterling, I thought it was delicious. Id do it again. I think people associate the style with citrusy hops. I mean, it tastes different. It will taste (well different but closer) to an english pale. Crystal was nice too.

I have a pale ale with pallisade and mittlefrau fermenting.

There is a thread on this forum called Noble IPA...check that out for a start.

But no reason not to use noble hops in either type of beer. They do tend to be lower in bittering, so using something like Magnum for your bittering charge, Tetananger or Hallertauer or Saaz for the flavour and aroma would be nice. I recently did a summer Ale (not an APA or IPA but easily adaptable) with an oz of Magnum and the rest with Saaz. Results were spectacular. Nice floral component with some citrus. Nottingham yeast. The keg was drained in under 3 hours by enthusiastic friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have an "English-y IPA" that uses Magnum for first addition and from there EKG and Hallertauer for flavor and aroma, then dry hopped with Goldings. I originally brewed it as an alternative to "C-hop" IPAs so folks could get a break from the big time citrus thing (that honestly I'm majorly in the grips thereof) but still get a pretty good hop kick. It's been popular enough that it hold a firm place in the rotation...

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm trying to brew a daisy cutter clone (or something similar)

Here is my recipe so far (for 1gallon)

Grain:
1.85 Two-row pale
.05 Victory
.05 Aromatic
.05 Special Roast

Hops: (Still working on this)
Warrior (bittering)
Ahtanum/Sterling/Palisade/Amarillo (flavor/aroma)
Centennial (flameout)

If there's anyone familiar with Daisy Cutter out there, would love to hear some feedback.

Back