Using Montrachet yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300RUM

Reaction score
I have about one more week left on my first batch of Apfelwein. Could I add another batch right on the yeast cake or should I try to wash it, make a starter?

I've read of brewers doing this on the same day as racking. I'm not sure why you couldn't do this, escpecially if you're making another batch of the same stuff, but I would add additional nutrients. I mean technically you've got a huge lump of yeast at the bottom just waiting to party right? Unless you had added sorbates or other stabilizers and the ABV didn't kill anything off, you should be ok.

I've done it for beers, but never for wines, meads, or ciders.

A couple of reasons why:
1. A package of wine yeast is under $1.
2. This is from a higher alcohol beverage and the yeast has been in a harsher environment (lower pH combined with high ABV).
3. Wine lees taste like ****.
4. There's other stuff in the yeast cake besides yeast- pectin, coagulated proteins, etc. I don't know of any winemakers that pitch on the cake- that seems to be a beer "thing".

It would probably work if you did it. Aside from saving $1, though, I don't see a benefit at all.

Back