Using lots of hops and keeping them out of the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
I use bags throughout the process, hopspider for boil and I have dry hop bags that work well. The reason I ask is that I have been adding a hop charge during fermentation and I would like to just throw pellets in there but keep them out of keg. I feel like there is a good way but I just don't know it.

Use one of the bags fastened to the inlet end of you siphon. I use a rubber band to fasten my filter bag and it works well as I siphon into the bottling bucket. Be sure to sanitize the siphon with the bag attached before you transfer.

I have been using my speidel and it has a nozzle but I wonder if that auto siphon screen could fit into speidel in the same way a bazooka screen works.

I have been using my speidel and it has a nozzle but I wonder if that auto siphon screen could fit into speidel in the same way a bazooka screen works.

i have a speidel as well, you can use the storage cap, drill it out a change it to pretty much whatever you want. i have not done it yet but i have a few friends who have .

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/upgrading-your-speidel-fermenter/

this guy puts a racking arm like I've seen many people do, i suppose it would be easy to use a screen instead, or even a screen clamped to the racking arm .

Thanks curtisbrewer, those were things I had never heard of you came up with. I worry a little that the screen might clog but this is definitely the direction for a start I needed. Only way to find out is try it I guess.

I like your idea too rm-mn, I used to clip bag to side of bottling bucket put tubing in bag and transfer. This worked well but I think less oxygen exposure with your method. I tried to like that before but I had the Office Depot clips and nothing else in front of me so it didn't work well.

Replacement caps are only 5 bucks so it seems like a fairly cheap experiment. On my buddy's you can rotate the racking arm which may help prevent the screen from getting clogged ? Let me know what you come up with !

I started using this method for both fruited and dry hopped beers after I had a bunch of problems racking a raspberry sour. First thing, cold crash your beer to help drop debris out of suspension. Line your keg with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and rack into it. When done racking, carefully lift it out and all but the finest debris will come along with it.

Back