Using liquor to flavor wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdrummer24

Reaction score
Could I boil the alcohol out of something like whiskey and add it to my must during primary or secondary to get add a whiskey flavoring to my wine?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Could I boil the alcohol out of something like whiskey and add it to my must during primary or secondary to get add a whiskey flavoring to my wine?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

If you boil the alcohol out I would imagine you would kill the very flavor you are going for. How much whiskey are you wanting to add here? I would just add it once fermentation is complete if you are set on it.

What flavor is it that you are after? Seems like a waste of whiskey. You may get what you are looking for by adding some heavy toasted oak.

I haven't flavored a wine, but I put rum essence in a Ginger Beer once and that worked great for a Dark N stormy taste without the alcohol.
If you still would like a whiskey flavor, then get an whiskey-essence and try 1bottle or so, then try a whole batch if it works out fine. Just my two cents

Did you try boiling the whiskey?

I top up most of my Apple Cyser with bourbon after racking to secondary. Works great.

Back