Using Kolsch yeast for an IPA - temperature and pitching rates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwhite

Reaction score
I have an actual Kolsch fermenting right now with WLP029 at 60F. My plan was to use slurry from this batch to ferment a IIPA of sorts afterwards, based on the idea that Kolsch yeast is clean tasting and rumors that some breweries like Odell use it or another Kolsch yeast as their house strain. Also, for fun.

My question is this: when I'm fermenting this IIPA, should I calculate my pitching rates assuming it's a hybrid ale or a standard ale, and should I keep it cool at around 60F or go into the listed optimal temperature range of 65-69F? The IIPA has enough hops that subtle yeast characteristics won't be easy to detect (recipe is here if you want to read).

I'm guessing that the answer is hybrid pitching rate if 60F, ale pitching rate if higher, and you can do either, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

I just did a pale with Kolsch yeast at the low end of the ferm range (62*). I'd pitch for the IIPA to keep it clean. It turned out great. I do suggest cold crashing before dry hopping though. I dry hopped and the yeast took forever to fall out losing most if the aroma before it cleared, and the yeast left a funny taste while it was still in suspension.

OK. My plan was to go primary fermentation -> transfer to keg in fridge with dry hopper (not carbonating) -> remove dry hopper and add gelatin -> transfer some to bottles and the rest to another "bright tank" keg for carbonation, so everything should be crystal.

kolsch yeast are very powdery and remain in suspension longer than american ale yeast so you may have to kind of lager it for a while .

I lagered a kolsch (WY2565) for maybe two weeks and the beer was crystal clear, possibly one of the clearest beers I have every made. It was repitched from an American Wheat I had just made so perhaps I had the more flocculant yeast, but it still attenuated exactly like it should have. I have stopped using gelatin completely and find that a couple weeks cold conditioning does the trick just fine.

To the OP's question....I think you can shoot for lower 60's and pitch at the hybrid rate and be just fine. Given that you are repitching, the yeast will already be firing on all cylinders hopefully so you should be in god shape even if you slightly underpitch.

Thanks for the tip. I've had the same experience with lagering a Kolsch and it turning super clear, but in this case I figured I'd go the jello route because I want the freshest possible hop flavor and as a result don't want to wait an extra 2 weeks.

Back