Using Kettle Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshprend

Reaction score
I've just put my first ever brew in the fermenter, but I'm worried it's not going to be fined properly.

I used protafloc kettle finings on the recommendation of my local home brew store, but after reading some forum threads i thought it best to strain the wort into the fermentation bin, which has obviously removed the finings. I'm not completely sure how kettle finings work, does the fining take place during the boil or do they need to remain in the wort?

If it's the case that the finings shouldn't have been strained, is there a simple way of fining the beer now or is it too late?

Adding finings near the end of the boil-10-15 minutes typically-dissolves into the wort & when you chill it &/or top off with chilled water to recipe volume it'll give a nice cold break. I use Fivestar super moss myself. And I use a large,fine mesh strainer to strain & aerate the wort into the fermenters. Since the finings are dissolved,it won't strain out ime. Having said that,what finings do is get the dissolved proteins to clump up & settle out. Little or no chill haze come fridge time.

You're welcome. You should get some cold break settling out in the fermenter with the rest of the trub as well. I do,anyway.

You can also add gelatin post fermentation to clear up the beer. Mostly for yeast, but some proteins will drop out.

Back