Using Induction cooktop for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alatifzai

Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently using a propane burner to brew with, however I have been hearing about induction cooktops. Has anyone ever used one for brewing? Is so have you had trouble stressing and breaking the cooktop by placing up to 8 gallons of water on top of it? How large of the unit was used? Does it work faster than a propane burner?
Thanks

Hmm, can't attest to the size but I found that boilovers were a bigger problem for me, probably due to the smaller pot I used on it. Doubt it worked anywhere near as fast as my propane burner. Why do you want to use one? What have you heard that I haven't...?

I kind of thought it would be slow the largest I could find was 1800 watts. I wanted to check my calculations versus experience. If I were to start with an 8 gallon batch at 20 degrees C it would require 9700 KJ to bring it to a boil and an additional 16000KJ to boil away 2 gallons of water assuming no environmental losses of heat using an 1800 watt cooktop would require nearly 4 hours to complete this task. I am not even considering heating the mash and sparge water and heat losses and time requirements associated with it.

Now to answer your question, the reason I am looking for alternatives to propane is to reduce cost and save on space. I could only find an 1800 watt unit on the market I would need about a 5000 watt unit to complete the task in a respectable manner. Of course there is the problem of boil overs with induction cooktops as you mentioned.

From my experience, I can tell you that 1800 watts is not enough. I use a gas burner but I also have a 240V, 4500W element in a RIMS tube. With the proper flow rate, I have brought an entire pot to a boil(bench testing it), but I couldn't imagine even using half of that power for the job.

If you already have the propane burner, I do know how you would be saving on costs. I usually pick up a fresh propane tank every 4-5 brews, dependent on boil length.

I kind of thought it would be slow the largest I could find was 1800 watts. I wanted to check my calculations versus experience. If I were to start with an 8 gallon batch at 20 degrees C it would require 9700 KJ to bring it to a boil and an additional 16000KJ to boil away 2 gallons of water assuming no environmental losses of heat using an 1800 watt cooktop would require nearly 4 hours to complete this task. I am not even considering heating the mash and sparge water and heat losses and time requirements associated with it.

Now to answer your question, the reason I am looking for alternatives to propane is to reduce cost and save on space. I could only find an 1800 watt unit on the market I would need about a 5000 watt unit to complete the task in a respectable manner. Of course there is the problem of boil overs with induction cooktops as you mentioned.

Sounds like you're wanting to go the 120v route, correct? If so, there's always the option of using the 1800 watt induction cooker with an additional 120v heat stick like the Hot Rod.

But using 120v I would instead use two elements, either on Hot Rods or installed in the kettle. An 8 gallon boil is no problem for 2 x 1500 watt elements in direct contact with the wort.

I agree with TX wine. 240 would be fine with 1 4k watt element. 120v would require 2 2k watt elements atleast.

Back