Using ice to cool wort to pitching temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azlane

Reaction score
I bought some new ziploc plastic containers to freeze my ice that will be used to cool the wort to pitching temps. My question is, I washed these new containers and then put water in from my RO system and froze them. I did not sanitize them with odofor or anything, nor did I boil the water first. Do you think I screwed up or should everything be OK?

I'm pretty sure you should be fine. As long as the ice isn't coming into contact with your wort. If it's just for an ice bath I think you are fine.

it really depends, I don't know if I understand how you plan on using them, if as ajohnson153 states, you're just using them for a bath or a heat transfer method then it will be fine, but if you're putting those containers in the hot wort to cool it down, then yes you need to sanitize anything that comes in contact w/ the wort.

Theoretically what the previous two said.. Then again, I top off my batches with straight tap water all the time.. so who am I to say otherwise? ;-)

I don't put any ice in the wort but I do freeze water in milk jugs. When its time to cool the wort, I fill up my bathtub with cold tap water and then add the milk jugs to the water. I do not add them into the wort just into the water that the brewkettle is sitting in.

My local store has a video on their website that shows them putting ice into the wort to cool it down (just don't know if the water was boiled before it became ice).

That was my plan for the ice. I figured that you are putting the ice from a RO system into boiling wort and any surface contaminants would be killed.

My local store has a video on their website that shows them putting ice into the wort to cool it down (just don't know if the water was boiled before it became ice).

That was my plan for the ice. I figured that you are putting the ice from a RO system into boiling wort and any surface contaminants would be killed.

Theoretically as long as you put all of the chunks in at once, before they start to cool the wort.

Except the ice will still be 32 degrees and a very thin layer around the ice will be 33 degree. I top off with water from and 5 Aqua Falls water jug. I don't sanitize the jug or anything and haven't any problems. I do use a fresh unopened jug though. Aqua Falls probably sanitizes and stuff.

I have used ice directly into the hot wort in one brew with no ill effects. I bought a bag of ice at the grocery store, and simply dumped it into my boil pot. The vendor says that they use "treated water" in the ice making process, whatever THAT means. That was before I made my immersion chiller.

glenn514:mug:

Have you considered boiling the water the day before, freezing it, then popping it out of your containers into the wort?

Back