Using Hops Pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I do extract brews with some steeping grains. I use hops pellets with a hop/grain bag. The one thing I have always been unclear about is how long to leave in my hops additions. If a recipe calls for adding hops10-15 minutes into the boil, and then when there are 15 minutes left and again at 5 minutes left, do I leave the first addition in until it's time for the next addition? When it's time for the next addition, do I just add that on top of the first, or should I remove the first batch before adding the next? I'm sure there is no right and wrong way, but I'm interested in everyone's opinions.

I just keep addong the hops to the bag. The first hops are bittering hops and I usually keep them in the pot for full length of the boil the last hops are aroma hops and I usually add them at the end of the boil for only a few minutes. I'm sure there are other opinions but that is the way I was taught.

David

You should leave them in. The different times are based on different utilization rates and wanting different things from each addition.

Hops that are boiled for the full 60 minutes give a higher utilization rate (more of their bitter oils get into the beer), but their flavor and aroma are pretty-much boiled away. The later additions don't bitter the beer as effectively but they contribute more flavor and aroma.

Once they go in the wort, for me, they stay. I don't attempt to remove or filter them out even into the primary (well, I tried once, and it didn't work - they break down and go right through the strainer I have, which was just one more thing to sanitize).

I have never observed any bad taste or off-flavors as a result. I usually use high acid content hops and I like a hoppy beer so this might affect my outlook on the need to get rid of them.

Hops are always left in the boil. The extraction rates are based on the hops being in the wort from the addition time to the cool-down. Don't worry about removing them.

I say forget the bag, just toss in the hops and let them do their thing. The great thing about pellets is they will settle out very nicely.

Back