Using hop tea to increase Hop flavor and aroma to a beer in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval

Reaction score
I'v brewd some kind of hybrid between a belgian triple, honey wheat beer and an IPA using sorachi ace hops, the beer is around 8.3% abv it's in the secondery for about 3 weeks now, the ibu is about 50 and i want to increase it to around 60-65, is the tea hop technique is the right way to go? i'm thinking about boiling 30 grams of sorachi ace in 2 liter water for 20 minutes, i mainly want flavor and aroma with a little more bitterness, should i add any kind of sugars to the tea or hops and water is enough, when to add it? to the secondery or maybe at bottling with the priming sugars?

It will work, but don't forget to account for how much you'll be diluting your beer when you take your numbers.

Whether or not you want to add sugars is a completely different question, ultimately. Do not add sugars at bottling time or you will get exploding bottles.

yuval , Hope you have better luck than I did doing the hop tea. I wanted to do it just to add more hop aroma. I'm sure my technique is to blame for my success though. I boiled a small amount of water with 1 oz. of hops in a hop bag for a very short time just to mainly heat the hops to get the oils flowing. I let the hops soak in the water until it cooled to the same temp as my beer. Squeezed them just to try an extract as much as possible. I smelled great.. I added this to my keg , and tasted it after a couple of days. It just barely had any aroma. I was disappointed in how it turned out. since it smelled really good before I added it. I have since just added the 1 oz. in a hop bag directly to my keg and dry hopped it for several days. This produced much better results. I would leave it in there and taste until I got the aroma that I was looking for. Once this was achieved , I would remove the hops. I've also have done multiple hopping this way to..I think this is a great way to had some really great hop aromas. Good luck on your tea. If you find a way that works, I would love to know how to do it. It would be much less of a hassle to add the tea one time , than going through the hop addition in the keg.

Whe I did a hop tea,it was in the brew kettle with the water I was boiling for my LME/DME additions. And then for only 15mins. I dry hopped it for the 4th week in primary. Bottling Sunday,so I'll see how it smells then. If it smells real good/obvious,I'll do it again. Gotta remember that 3-4 week aging process too. Some aroma will be lost,but how much I'll see then.

I've run some hops through the coffee maker before to make a "tea" It worked great. I think it added more bitterness and less arome though. Turns out perfect for the Cali Common I was doing though.

Whats even better was the next several pots of coffee tasted hoppy!:D

What about boiling some water, adding the priming sugar and then adding the hops for 15 to 20 minutes, straining and adding before bottling?

Back