Using Homegrown Hops

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

slayer84

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops and so far things are going great. I do have a question about using them in brewing. The question is: if I were to use my own homegrown hops as, lets say a 15 min or even a 5 min addition near the end of the boil, will that effect my over all HBU's?

Thank you for any help on this.

MajorTom

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to use first year cascades I grew this year. I was wondering the same thing. My plan is to just take a ballpark average of the typical cascade AA and call it good. Late additions won't matter as much in that regard anyway.

pilotdane

Reaction score
I'm also wondering about the quantity. If I normally use 1oz of pellets should I go up to 1.25oz of dried cones? I'm trying to figure out if I should vacuum pack them into 1oz packages or something else like 1.25oz.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I used my homegrown 1st year nugget and cascades in my last brew. The bittering is ok, the aroma and flavor I would have liked to be a little more. I would say I would use 1.5 oz of homegrown for the same as 1 oz pellets next time

uechikid

Reaction score
From what I've read, home grow hops can be more potent than commercially grow hops. Maybe not the first year but after that they can be.