using grolsch gasket to stop leak in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I just assembled a mash tun from parts lying around..I have a 10 gallon cooler,ball valve,2 SS barb adapters and i went and bought a SS water supply braid,anyway after i assembled it i filled it with water, i am got a small leak.Now instead of going and buying a cooler conversion kit or spending anymore money.I just cut a grolsch gasket to fit over the threads to make a better seal..It did the job .But i wonder if the rubber will leach bad things into the brew..what do you all think?..i believe the material of grolsch gaskets are pure gum rubber..cheers all

You should be ok, it's food grade rubber. Even if it leaches a bit it's a small amount it should be ok, and it certainty won't poison you.

You should be ok, it's food grade rubber. Even if it leaches a bit it's a small amount it should be ok, and it certainty won't poison you.
Now that i think about it,i believe its the same rubber as carboy stoppers.Only thing is it will be exposed to heat..maybe if i just boil a gasket then cool the water and taste it.Thats probably the only sure fire way to find out..thanks for you input

Back