Using Gelatin at Higher Temperatures for Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have used gelatin once and it made a nice, clear beer. I was able to cold crash my beer at this time, where the temperature of my beer was around 40 deg F when I used gelatin. Since then, I have upgraded to a Fastferment conical, which I use their insulation bag to ferment at about 62 deg F. I cannot get it reliably below this (maybe 55 deg?) so I am wondering if gelatin will be effective in clearing beer at higher temperatures? Most information about using gelatin states to use it when cold crashing, or when beer is below 50 deg F. Anyone have experience with using gelatin at higher temperatures?

Hello all,

I have used gelatin once and it made a nice, clear beer. I was able to cold crash my beer at this time, where the temperature of my beer was around 40 deg F when I used gelatin. Since then, I have upgraded to a Fastferment conical, which I use their insulation bag to ferment at about 62 deg F. I cannot get it reliably below this (maybe 55 deg?) so I am wondering if gelatin will be effective in clearing beer at higher temperatures? Most information about using gelatin states to use it when cold crashing, or when beer is below 50 deg F. Anyone have experience with using gelatin at higher temperatures?

The gelatin itself will do it's job fine at those temperatures. However, the added benefit of cold-crashing prior to fining is that it allows the proteins that cause protein haze to come out of solution (hence the haze), and thereby allows the gelatin to pull them out of the beer. If you fine with gelatin at warmer temperatures, then cold crash, the beer will still contain those haze-forming proteins so won't be as clear as it otherwise might be.

I understand now. You must get those "chill haze" proteins to coagulate at a certain temperature (40 deg or so), then use gelatin to drop those proteins out of solution (which is the main reason for using gelatin). It seems as if I can't get my fermenter cold enough, than gelatin is not worth using. I guess I will not be able to fine my beer with gelatin until I get a refrigerator big enough to hold this fermenter where I can appropriately cold crash. Thank you!

In my experience, it's not worth using gelatin if you can't cold-crash the beer down below 40 first, and keep it cold after gelatin fining for a day or two.

I'm sure it'll still make some difference, but as others have said, the combination of the two is what makes your beer really sparkle! I'm sure it's still worth it to try though!

In my experience, it's not worth using gelatin if you can't cold-crash the beer down below 40 first, and keep it cold after gelatin fining for a day or two.

What's your process exactly? Cold crash all the way to 34F and then add gelatin? Or stop at 40F, add gelatin, then crash the rest of the way?

I crash to 32f, then add the gelatin. 1/2 envelope of unflavored knox into about 1/4-1/3 cup of water, carefully heated up to about 155f in short bursts using the microwave. Then the gelatin mixture is added to the fermenter, and I keep it at 32f for another 48-72 hours. Beer is extremely clear after that. Another day or two beyond that *really* brightens it up to filtered commercial quality.

I crash to 32f, then add the gelatin. 1/2 envelope of unflavored knox into about 1/4-1/3 cup of water, carefully heated up to about 155f in short bursts using the microwave. Then the gelatin mixture is added to the fermenter, and I keep it at 32f for another 48-72 hours. Beer is extremely clear after that. Another day or two beyond that *really* brightens it up to filtered commercial quality.

Cool, thanks! I've been pitching in the gelatin mixture at 50f and then continuing the crash. Had mixed results this way, could be the proteins choosing to hang around.

Im currently experimenting with this exact thing using a Pale Ale I fermented at 64*F. After fermentation was complete I heated 1 pack of gelatin in 4oz of water to 155*F then threw it in the carboy that was still 64*F. I let it sit for 4 days then transferred to keg last night. While transferring the beer looked crystal clear you could read the numbers of the tubing size through the beer. It is currently in the kegerator at 38*F carbonating @ 8psi. I will let you know how it comes out in a few days.

In the past I have used the same mixture but added it directly to the keg after it was racked and cooled for a couple days. Two days later CRYSTAL clear beer after the first couple pints.

If I do not get clear beer after a few days this time I will just add more gelatin to the keg wait a few days and all will not be lost I should get clear beer.

:tank:

Im currently experimenting with this exact thing using a Pale Ale I fermented at 64*F. After fermentation was complete I heated 1 pack of gelatin in 4oz of water to 155*F then threw it in the carboy that was still 64*F. I let it sit for 4 days then transferred to keg last night. While transferring the beer looked crystal clear you could read the numbers of the tubing size through the beer. It is currently in the kegerator at 38*F carbonating @ 8psi. I will let you know how it comes out in a few days.

In the past I have used the same mixture but added it directly to the keg after it was racked and cooled for a couple days. Two days later CRYSTAL clear beer after the first couple pints.

If I do not get clear beer after a few days this time I will just add more gelatin to the keg wait a few days and all will not be lost I should get clear beer.

:tank:

Not really worth doing, the beer might be a little clearer than normal but not worth the trouble. Next time I will just throw the gelatin in the keg while its cooling and carbonating pour off a couple pints then be done.

Back