Using Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to brew an IPA tomorrow and utilize some Galaxy hops that I just got but I've read a lot of different things on their usage alongside other hops. Most notably that they should be used in a restrained manner, but I'm not exactly sure how to quantify that. I think I'll be using them alongside Mosaic and Citra (possibly Azacca too). Looking for a big juicy, dank, citrus profile.

So far, my recipe looks like:

10lb 2-Row
1.25lb Munich
.75lb Vienna

.5oz Mosaic FWH
.5oz Mosaic (20 min)
.5oz Mosaic (10 min)
.5oz Citra (10 min)
1oz Galaxy (0 min)
1oz Mosaic (0 min)
1oz Citra (0 min)
2oz Mosaic (dry hop)
2oz Citra (dry hop)
1oz Galaxy (dry hop)

US-05 yeast
Target mash low around 148-149

How does that sound for the Galaxy? And BTW, the only reason I'm using Mosaic to bitter is because I don't have anything else on hand. I've read that the higher Cohumulone levels in Galaxy make it more likely to impart a harsh bitterness, so I'm steering clear of that.

Any help is appreciated.

Galaxy is one of the best stand alone hops I have tried. That said they pair nicely with Citra. I actually have a pale ale on tap that used Galaxy, Citra, and Azacca. It is excellent. I have never tried Mosaic so I don't know how it will play with the others. What I will say is I think you would be happy even if you use Galaxy alone, it has citrus and tropical notes (I think the tropical notes are brought forward more by medium range crystal malts).

Galaxy is a great hop, though I've only ever used it as late boil additions and dry hopping. The tropical notes are prominent; I picked it up as a sub for Mosaic as my LHBS was out and they suggested it. I ended up liking it better. It goes great paired with Citra.

I did my last party gyle wiyh all galaxy hops. My son loves the flavor of the hops, I would be a bigger fan if it wasn't so high in IBUs.

Thanks, guys. Would be interested to see what kind of hop schedules you used. I've had Galaxy plenty of times in beers and I really like it. I've just never tried to brew with it

Back