Using Fresh Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijones

Reaction score
I have been thinking of ways to keep the grassy notes to a minimun.

Do you think by keeping the whole hops in contact with the hot wort for shorter periods of time would decrease the grassy notes. In particular I am looking at the 10 min addition. If i threw them in stirred them around a bit (3-4 minutes) then pulled then back out less of the green taste would be left behind. I assume 3-4 minuted would be enough to wash the oils out of hops to still get the flavor?

Here are my (current) hop additions for my fresh hop ale

1 oz Warrior hop pellets 60 Min
5 oz Centennial fresh 10 Min
5 oz Citra Fresh 5 Min
5 oz Simcoe Fresh 0 Min
5 oz Citra Fresh Secondary

I still have to come up with the fresh centennials so I may have to sub something if i can't.

Anyone have any other Ideas about keep grassy notes to a minimum???

So why not just move the 10 minute addition to 3-4 minutes?

I have beer used fresh hops, so ant answer about ways to reduce grassy flavors.

I could be wrong but i thought that flavor hops needed to be in the boil for 10-20 min. and aroma 10 min or less. I want to make sure the flavor hops have enough time in the boil.

I could be wrong but i thought that flavor hops needed to be in the boil for 10-20 min. and aroma 10 min or less. I want to make sure the flavor hops have enough time in the boil.

The new thinking is the longer the boil, the less flavor and aroma. Some breweries do a 60 or 90 boil and then add all finishing hops at 5min or less plus post boil hop steeping, in their IPAs and IIPAs.

Back