Using Farm Fresh apple Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I know that i have read it somewhere, but for the life of me can not find it., plus a question on yeast..

So I have a local Orchid that I am thinking of purchasing 5 gals of Juice( cider). They run it through a uv machine. Will I need to do anything with it beside adding Yeast?

I keep my yeast in a fridge that has been staying around 33 degrees F. However the packet of Cider yeast that I bought expires May of this year, I will not get the juice for another 4 months, will it still be good to use? should I do a starter (if so what should I use to make the starter?)

Will I need to do anything with it beside adding Yeast?
Maybe add some yeast nutrient and/or add some tannin.

Dry yeast has very good stability. Liquid yeast is not so stable.
If it's liquid yeast, you can make a starter with apple juice + nutrient, or in a pinch you could use table sugar and yeast nutrient. 1.040 s.g. is good.

Its a dry yeast....and I had to double check...Safcider date of 12/18 on it...yikes.

I have only done 2 ciders so far:
1st cider was a bubbly cider 1 gal (dry),
2nd cider was supposed to be a semi sweet non bubbly, but I guess i didn't add enough to stop fermenting and it became a low bubbly semi sweet.
On my 3rd batch I am planning doing a 5 Gal Semi sweet bubbly (Kegged) but unsure about yeast.

The dry yeast is probably ok to use, but if you could get a fresh packet when cider season rolls around, I'd recommend that you do so.

The dry yeast is probably ok to use, but if you could get a fresh packet when cider season rolls around, I'd recommend that you do so.

So your suggestion is to trash the yeast that I have and purchase new? if that is the case I am good with it, that is why I am asking for advice. Now if I am able to use my old yeast, but needing a starter that is great.

Now from what i am gathering from your post, I can use my old yeast, but it would be prefer to use fresh yeast (which I understand)...

Yep, you got it.
Using the expired yeast is a little risky because the lower cell count may lead to off-flavors.

According to Dr. Chris White (White Labs) dry yeast loses 5% viability per year and should be discarded after 2 years. He also says use a starter if the yeast is out of date or your must/wort is above 1.050 SG.

Now from what i am gathering from your post, I can use my old yeast, but it would be prefer to use fresh yeast (which I understand)...

Why not buy another packet of yeast just before your go get your orchard juice?

You can try making a starter with the old packet, if it proofs, then you're set. If it won't go, then bust out the fresh pack with no lag time and you're ready to go regardless of whether the old pack works.

5 gallon batch is ~48 bottles. A packet of dry white wine yeast is $2, tops at my LHBS. That's $0.04/bottle. Is alleviating your stress(and eliminating a possible problem) worth $2 to you?

Maybe $4/0.08 for some specialty yeast. Again, is your peace of mind worth $4?

Build a starter the day before. If it's happily proofed, pitch it. If it isn't, stop by your LHBS on the way back home from the orchard.

Back