using dry malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casperjah

Reaction score
Hi all

A quick question - I got a coopers home brew kit from the wife for Christmas. I brewed up my first batch of Coopers lager that came with it,using the brewing sugar supplied. Just finished drinking them - very nice. However I ordered another brewcan - Coopers heritage lager and the home brew shop sent out dried 1 kilo spraymalt extract. The brew instructions said to use coopers light malt extract - a liquid in a 1.5 kilo can. The only instructions I could find for the DRIED spraymalt extract were just to use it instread of your normal brewing sugar.

So anyway I added the spraymalt to the brew can and boiling water, mixed it well, topped up to the required temp and put it in the hot press at home for 9 days. I then bottled the beer but I broke my hydrometer so this was guesswork. However it was kept in the right temperature range for enough time so I assumed it was done.

Anyway the thing I noticed was that the airlock never seemed to bubble on that batch. I have since put on another batch of the same brew but using a can of liquid spraymalt and it is currently bubbling away good-o.

The bottled batch looks a bit cloudy although it has improved in colour and there is sediment in the bottle.

My question is:
1 Did I make a mistake by not boiling up the spraymalt powder?
2. would the brew still have fermented fully?
3 Will the brew improve with time or what am I looking out for to tell me its gone arse-ways

thanks all, sorry it was not a quick question after all !

Jay

1. You should get away with it but it's best to boil.
2. Not boiling shouldn't effect the ferment (no way to tell for sure without a gravity reading) a taste will help.
3. Should do.

Sound mate thanks, I will leave it so and hope for the best. I will taste one to see what its like - I have one in the fridge now.

Back