Using distilled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying 5 gallons of distilled water to brew my next pilsner. Has anybody done this? Do you think the lack of minerals will make a huge difference?

According to AJ Delange, you'd add 1/2 tsp Calcium Chloride (5 gallons water) and 3% Acidulated Malt to your grain bill and you are good to go with Distilled and a Pilsner.

His advice has worked great for my beers. YMMV

You are probably fine to use distilled water if you are using extract and will not need additions - the minerals in the wort before it was made into extract will still be in there.

If doing all grain, yes, add minerals depending on how you want your water.

If you are doing a 5 gallon batch, 5 gallons of distilled water will not be even close to enough. Even if you are doing extract you will need more water to account for boil-off. Not to mention other losses associated with all-grain (and incidental water losses with extract or grain).

So buy more than 5 gallons.

I have ground water that is moderately hard. It makes good beer. I was thinking of using a half gallon of ground water or maybe 1 gallon would be better, I'm not sure. The last pilsner I made was with all ground water and it was good and all but didn't taste that much like pilsner.

This will be an extract brew. The only thing I am planning to add to the wort is a tsp of yeast nutrients.

You say it didn't taste like a pilsner? Did you use lager yeast and ferment at 50-55 degrees, do a diacetyl rest and then cold crash and lager 2-10 weeks? Otherwise it probably won't taste like a pilsner no matter what water you use.

I didn't do any of that :) I didn't have a fermentation chamber at the time.

I did lager in the fridge for about 3 weeks. I knew it wouldn't come out as it was supposed too, but I knew I'd get something. Now that I have all of the equipment for proper brewing, I want to do it the way it's supposed to be made.

Back