using different sugars for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
Ok, so I've read on the forums about people using different forms of sugar to prime- dextrose, DME, white cane sugar, honey, maple syrup, wort, etc, etc. Anything negative about carb drops? I want to know what's the difference and why people do so? I can understand the maple syrup adding some flavor and maybe the honey as well, but what about cane sugar vs dextrose? Brown sugar? I'm just trying to learn here and wanted to know. Thanks a lot. In case you're wondering, it's a bottling day, but I'm curious for future reference. :tank:

brown sugar contains molassas which changes the flavor

carb drops are pre-measured. 1 drop = a certain CO2 volume, so you can carb to match the style.

white cane sugar is often used 'in a pinch' when you realize you have no dextrose and the LHBS is closed.
DME is simply a substitute that'll add some more malt flavor at bottling, but not a ton.

different strokes for different folks basically.

Back