using crystal malt in starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
Ok, I need to make a batch of starter wort, and have a bit too much of one or two crystal malts laying around: would it be ok to supplement my 2 row with say 10-20% to try to move some of this grain? Anyone ever try this?

-d

Should be no problem whatsoever.

The only thing is that I'd say you should make sure you decant your starters, as you're adding an additional flavor element to your starter with the crystal in the wort. It's a small enough amount that I wouldn't worry a bit over it, though.

You could, but it would be almost pointless. Crystal malts are for flavor, and you'd be adding them to something you aren't going to drink. Also, they're going to add little fermentable sugar, so they won't be helping the starter at all. I'd say put the crystal malts in a ziplock bag and save them for the next time you brew.

I don't think i said that? I was responding to the earlier comment about getting little in the way of fermentables from crystal. Also, darker crystal would be carmalized more...and thus be less fermentable. Someone on here did a test with different crystal. I forget who.

As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.

I don't think i said that? I was responding to the earlier comment about getting little in the way of fermentables from crystal.

I was responding to the comment above: As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.

I can't make sense of that. That's why I'm asking why that is. :drunk:

Yooper said:
I was responding to the comment above: As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.

I can't make sense of that. That's why I'm asking why that is. :ydrunk:

I don't know the specifics, I've just seen the data that someone on here produced. I assume darker crystal has more burnt sugar though.

I don't know the specifics, I've just seen the data that someone on here produced. I assume darker crystal has more burnt sugar though.

Oh. Well, in a starter of 10% crystal, the difference in fermentability between crystal 10L and 120L would be negligible, if there is any at all.

Yooper said:
Oh. Well, in a starter of 10% crystal, the difference in fermentability between crystal 10L and 120L would be negligible, if there is any at all.

There is a difference...I can provide you with the thread....but you're right it probably won't make a big difference.

Back