using crystal malt in starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

logdrum

Reaction score
Ok, I need to make a batch of starter wort, and have a bit too much of one or two crystal malts laying around: would it be ok to supplement my 2 row with say 10-20% to try to move some of this grain? Anyone ever try this?

-d

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Should be no problem whatsoever.

The only thing is that I'd say you should make sure you decant your starters, as you're adding an additional flavor element to your starter with the crystal in the wort. It's a small enough amount that I wouldn't worry a bit over it, though.

0110x011

Reaction score
You could, but it would be almost pointless. Crystal malts are for flavor, and you'd be adding them to something you aren't going to drink. Also, they're going to add little fermentable sugar, so they won't be helping the starter at all. I'd say put the crystal malts in a ziplock bag and save them for the next time you brew.

afr0byte

Reaction score
As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.

afr0byte

Reaction score
I don't think i said that? I was responding to the earlier comment about getting little in the way of fermentables from crystal. Also, darker crystal would be carmalized more...and thus be less fermentable. Someone on here did a test with different crystal. I forget who.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.
I don't think i said that? I was responding to the earlier comment about getting little in the way of fermentables from crystal.
I was responding to the comment above: As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.

I can't make sense of that. That's why I'm asking why that is. :drunk:

afr0byte

Reaction score
Yooper said:
I was responding to the comment above: As long as it's a lighter crystal there will be quite a bit of fermentable sugars.

I can't make sense of that. That's why I'm asking why that is. :ydrunk:
I don't know the specifics, I've just seen the data that someone on here produced. I assume darker crystal has more burnt sugar though.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the specifics, I've just seen the data that someone on here produced. I assume darker crystal has more burnt sugar though.
Oh. Well, in a starter of 10% crystal, the difference in fermentability between crystal 10L and 120L would be negligible, if there is any at all.

afr0byte

Reaction score
Yooper said:
Oh. Well, in a starter of 10% crystal, the difference in fermentability between crystal 10L and 120L would be negligible, if there is any at all.
There is a difference...I can provide you with the thread....but you're right it probably won't make a big difference.