Quantcast

Using Coa Coa nibbs in the secondary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bf514921

Reaction score
so i am making a chocolate milk stout, recipie calls for using coa coa nibbs in the secondary.
question 1 - how do i "sanatize" coa coa nibbs or do i just throw them in a secondary?

2 , could i keg and put the nibbs in the keg and let the beer age that way?

jester5120

Reaction score
i sanitize my nibs in a little bit of bourbon or vodka for a day before i throw them in. you can also drop them in a little star san. I've also heard of people just throwing them in but i don't know how bacteria prone they are.

you could keg with them but i wouldn't throw them straight in the keg. put them in a muslin bag so they don't get caught in the dip tube.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
No need to sanitize in secondary; it's a waste of time and resources. There is enough alcohol in the beer to deal with any nasties. Just toss the nibs right in there. I do it every time I brew this or the version w/out coffee.

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
You could just toss the nibs in, and I used to do that and never had any problems with it.

But since those days I have found soaking them in just enough vodka to cover in a sealed container for two or three days with an occasional shake along the way then dumping the whole mix into the secondary results in a lot more intense flavor out of them....

Cheers!

OP
bf514921

bf514921

Reaction score
i think i will go for the soadking in bourbon or vodka, just a little bourbon. but thanks for the replies, never really put anything in the secondary before.

Jtc2811

Reaction score
IMHO, if you want the most intense cocoa flavor and are worried about sanitation, you should try roasting the nibs. I took some and set a part aside and roasted the rest to compare, and the difference is astounding.

Just set them on a baking sheet, and put in the oven for about 12-15 minutes at around 300. When they smell like fresh chocolate and have turned a rich brown, they're done. The heat should also help with sanitization, not to mention melt some of the oil in the nibs off to help with your head.