using citrus peel (non orange)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
We all know about using orange peel in beers, particulary wheat beers. I was planning to make some of my own orange peel for convenience's sake, and also just for the fun of it, but the first citrus fruits I came across were tangelos. (a mix of tangerine and orange i believe) I smelled and tasted a little of the peel and it was fantastic, similar to orange peel but with a much more floral taste and smell.

This got me thinking. Has anyone here used other citrus fruit peels in beers other than orange and lemon? Lime could be interesting. I've heard grapefruit peel can work wonders in gin, why not beer?

I was thinking that since many IPA's have a very disctinct citrus/floral aroma perhaps some of these non traditional peels could add a little extra pop.

If anyone has used these I would love to hear about which ones they used and how they were employeed. And if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions for how to use them that would also be great. I plan on making a lot of peel soon so some expirements are in order.

Not beer related but we made some candied orange peels recently using both tangelos and oranges and the tangelo peels tasted way better than the orange peels. I also once made an orange chicken recipe I have but I did not have oranges at the time so I substituted grapefruit that I did have. I'll never do that again as it was very, very awful!

Back