Using champagne yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varnas

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of using champagne yeast (Bioferm Champ yeast 7g.) after primary fermentation is complete.

I was thinking of using 2 x Coopers Irish Stout, 1kg liquid malt extract and in secondary 1kg regular sugar and champagne yeast.

Do you guys have any suggestions what kit to use it with, or any other suggestions.:mug:

It sounds like it will be unbalanced to me; too alcoholic and too dry.

If you suggest what kind of beer you're after I'm sure we can help dial you in a little bit. It sounds like you're after a dry stout with some extra UMPHH. I doubt those coopers will have the bittering units needed to balance what you've proposed.

Well eventually I went for Milestone Cursader. I used 2 cans that it comes with (3kg), Coopers Spraymalt Amber EBC 18 1kg and 300g white sugar.
Starting OG was 1070. In Secondary I will add caramel sugar and champagne yeast then.

Will let to know about results.:)

I had a pleasant surprise, when I got back to home from weekend. 20 liters of brew was too much. Schaum had come out of the air lock. Next time making strong beer I think I should make max 17 liters or so :)

I want to make strong Belgian style ale, about 11% vol. And since champagne yeast is more alcholol tolerant thats why I decided to test with this, so final OG would go low and I would get my ABV.

More alcohol tolerant than most brewer's yeast, yes, but it doesn't ferment trisaccharides or more complex sugars well, or at all. So if you just use champagne yeast, you'll most likely end up with a sweeter, higher OG beer than if you select a good brewer's yeast and treat it well. Plus, if you want something Belgian, you need to use Belgian yeast...it's the only way to make it happen.

Edit: Oh, you wanted to use it after primary fermentation. Still, if you manage the primary well, there really won't be anything for the champagne yeast to eat. Might speed up carbonation, but I really don't think it's going to do much.

GuldTuborg's right. I've taken US-05 up to 13.5% with no problems. I did, however, repitch with champagne yeast for bottling.

(As an aside, the English word for "Schaum" is "foam." ;) )

GuldTuborg, yes I wanted to use champagne yeast in 2nd fermantation, since 1st one, as calculations showed, should bring it to 8% vol.
And in secondary I will add enough caramel sugar so it has something to eat and I am aware of that it doesn't eat complex sugars, thats why I will add in secondary caramel sugar, that it eats and it shouln't add any new tastes this way as well.

Teacher, what have you made with champagne yeast?

Ok, added yesterday champagne yeast, but it's not bubbeling, still after 12+h. I just shaked dry yeast on it. Does champagne yeast take longer to start bubbeling or something might be wrong?

After adding some caramel sugar gravity was 1.028. I used biofewm champagne yeast (as it was only one I could get my hands on here:)).

Keep in mind that wine yeasts cannot ferment maltose.

Caramelized sugar? Not sure if anything will be able to ferment that.

I think some of them can, but they have a tough time with it. It's maltotriose and other trisaccharides (and higher sugars) that these yeasts cannot ferment at all.

OK OP, here are a couple things to keep in mind:

-Wine yeasts usually form little to no kraeusen, like beer yeasts do, so you may be looking for the wrong signs.

-Sugar additions aside, there may be nothing left for the champagne yeast to eat, and it's possible they just went dormant. Any Belgian ale strain typically used in this kind of beer is plenty capable of hitting 11% on its own.

Back