Using Carbonator Cap for HBC's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need help and hopefully someone out there has done this...

I need to get some competition entries in ASAP (by tomorrow) and I chilled the beer in a 1L bottle last night (its around 40 degrees) along with a carbonator cap on at 8psi. I did shake it for about 4-5mins last night and it's been sitting in the fridge ever since at 8psi. I need 2.0 Vols and plan on slowly pouring into two seperate bottles as entries. Is there anything that I can do to make sure it's carbonated enough? The timing issue was not up to me....I was somewhat rushed because I was told the competition was filled and then they notified me a week later that I could send something in...well that one week absolutely killed me for bottle carbing...so I had to resort to this. Please if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm not sure how well this will work, but if I were to do it I would recommend freezing your bottles first, and trying to siphon the beer out instead of pouring it. Both of those things will prevent foaming in the bottle. Possibly even attach a ball lock to the top with a bit of hose on it and (after releasing the pressure in the bottle) using that line to fill the glass bottles. Overfill to make sure that the headspace is co2 flushed as well. Good luck!

Question about longevity. I recently got a stainless steel carbonation cap and have yet to use it. I make small batches (2 1/2 gallons) and only have one 2 1/2 gallon keg. If I put homebrew in 2 liter bottles and plan to carbonate using a carbonation cap - how long will the beer stay relatively fresh? If not drinking right away, it is better to put in the bottle and wait to carbonate when ready to drink?

Would I be better off kegging the beer and then bottle from the keg to free up the keg for another batch?

Back