Using Calcium Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
So I made an imperial stourt last year, and It was the first big beer I made since moving to my new house. It tasted good but then it seemed like I got heart burn from it. So I'm wondering if my mash was too acidic and next time should I use some calcium carbonate to help keep the ph around 5.3. I do not know what the mash ph comes in at I do not own a ph meter but I have never had any problems up to this point making good beer with my water.

It should be noted I do use a 50/50 mix od RO water and tap water when I brew. We have really ahrd water in southern Wisconsin and I'm lucky enought to have an RO unit so I usually do a 50/50 mix. And yes I boil my tap water before I use it.

Thanks for any help.

well since you don't have a PH meter i would recommend getting some PH test strips and check your PH next time. if memory serves the package of calcium carbonate says that you add 1 table spoon per gallon to rase your PH by 0.3.

also you might just be getting old heartburn comes with the territory.

The reason I asked the question was because I red somewhere that it might be benificial to add Chalk to buffer the ph drop when using a large amount of roasted grains. Theheartburn is VERY unusual for me, I never get it.

your idea sounds right. before you do anything get a city water report to find out exactly whats in your tap water to begin with. don't forget to dilute the figures to account for the RO water you use.

Latest posts

Back