Using brewers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kricks111

Reaction score
My uncle asked me to recreate his grandfather's old beer recipe. It looks gross, but weren't they all in the 1940s? It calls for " 2 cake yeast". I'm assuming that is the red star bakers cake yeast packets that are 2 oz each. Does anyone know what would be the best temp to ferment at with this yeast? The original beer was fermented in a basement in Nebraska at whatever ambient temperature the room was. Any guesses on if this was a lager or an ale? Here is the full recipe:

1 oz of hops
1 can of blue ribbon malt
8# of sugar
2 cake yeast

I'm guessing the hops are "cluster hops" since that was about 96% of the hop market in the early 1900s. Blue ribbon malt is no longer made, but any malt extract would probably work.

Ill appreciate any help with this. Thanks!!!!

Bread has the best flavor if when working with the dough the temperature doesn't exceed 78°F. I would ferment well under that.

The stone foundation basement of the parents 1906 farm house never exceeded 60°F.

edit: The root storage end of the basement.

Back