Using Bottling Bucket with Spigot or Bottle Filler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Im getting ready to bottle the beer up (first timer and excited!!). i was just curious if people prefer using the bottling bucket with the spigot to fill up the bottles or if anyone prefers the bottle filler that gets attached to the siphon hose.

as with most things im sure they each have their pros and cons.

thanks dudes!

I cant find the original post that revvy did, but connect your bottling tube to the spigot with a real small (2-3 inches) of tubing here is a post that refers to it (on the second pic). Also a dip tube is very handy to have too (on page 2 post #17).
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/bottling-no-1-another-thanks-revvy-197959/
It would be wise to go through, his blogs have a lot of info for the new brewers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/blogs/Revvy/

found the original post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

I have always used a siphon/bottling wand and bottled out of a glass carboy instead of using a bucket. I figured that this helps keep sanitizing easier and more effective as there is no spigot to worry about, and the small mouth on the carboy keeps dust and whatnot out, and reduces exposure to oxygen. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with using a bottling bucket I know it works for most, but I have been pretty happy with my system. Whatever you choose, have fun!

You really shouldn't fill directly with the spigot. You don't want the beer falling through the air into the bottle which will possibly oxydize the beer. The purpose of the bottle filler (or even just a hose) is to fill the bottles, from the bottom up which will push any 02 out of the bottles as the beer rises up and over the neck. This an loosely capping the bottles for a few minutes before crimping them allows any 02 to be voided out.

The wand also helps to set the proper amount of headspace in the bottle. When you fill it till it it overflows slightly, then when you pull it out, the displacement by the wand drops the beer to about 1.5-2 inches from the top.

There are plenty of tips in my bottling thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Now whether you attach a hose between the bottling wand

nother thing to add here. I fill bottles with 1/2 tsp sugar then fill. The time required to fill all those bottles (maybe 20 -30 minutes) gives the sugar a chance to reactivate the yeast and push out the last bit of oxygen. So keep the bottles lined up and cap the first bottle you filled in order. have fun.

could i get away with filling up all the bottles than capping them all at once or cap one at a time as i get done filling each one?

I do it in batches. I fill them up until my work area gets crowded, then stop and cap what is filled. I don't think it matters. There is always that 1/1000 chance you get infection from letting them sit with no cap, and if you bottle thousands of beers, you will inevitably get an infection that way. But it's how I do it.

guess my message was not clear ... fill them all (leave open) then cap them all. This gives the yeast a chance to bite into that fresh sugar thereby making the CO2 that chases out the OX. Cap the first bottle filled in order.

fill each one and lay a sanitized cap on it and set it aside... then go back and crimp each cap down with your capper. You will actually see some of the caps " burp" while waiting to be capped down.

guess my message was not clear ... fill them all (leave open) then cap them all. This gives the yeast a chance to bite into that fresh sugar thereby making the CO2 that chases out the OX. Cap the first bottle filled in order.

this is exactly what i did. seemed to work out ok. i had enough beer to fill up exactly 48 bottles.

i have a question about another beer im making right now too, but i dont know if i should keep it going here or start a new thread.

Back